For more than a dozen years, Carrie Bernstein has used her experience and expertise in the areas of eminent domain law and real estate litigation to advocate for her clients. Without excess drama, Carrie has a no-nonsense approach to helping her clients that people appreciate. At Alderman Bernstein, Carrie represents private landowners, quasi-municipal corporations, and public entities in eminent domain in both litigation and appeals. She has been designated as one of the Best Lawyers in America for Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law each year since 2016 and named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2013. Carrie has been a presenter at many continuing education programs, often regarding eminent domain topics. She has litigated numerous eminent domain, inverse condemnation, and takings cases. She represents clients in every stage of a condemnation case, including negotiating for the acquisition of property and commencing condemnation proceedings, immediate possession hearings, valuation trials, and appeals. Carrie has argued several cases to the Colorado Court of Appeals.
After getting her bachelor’s degree in East Asian Studies and International Studies from Northwestern University, Carrie taught English in China for a year before returning to Denver to work in the foreign language translation industry. After five years she craved more intellectual challenge and subsequently enrolled in law school at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. During her time there, she served on the law review for two years, including on the board of editors. Upon graduation she clerked for Judge Arthur P. Roy at the Colorado Court of Appeals for a year, which gave her invaluable insight into the inner workings of the judicial system and appellate process. She started at the Denver law firm Grimshaw & Harring (now called Spencer Fane) in 2004, where she worked in eminent domain law; civil, commercial and real estate litigation; and water law.
Carrie worked at Grimshaw & Harring until 2009, when she and Jody Alderman left to start Alderman Bernstein. As a married mother of two girls, Carrie wanted to nurture her professional ambitions while being available and fully engaged with her family.
Carrie is a native of Vail, Colorado, and was raised in both Denver and Vail. Her knowledge and familiarity with Colorado’s resort communities has drawn clients from smaller communities around the state to the firm.
Outside of her practice of law, Carrie is involved in her daughters’ schools and volunteers regularly in the classroom. When she isn’t working hard for her clients, she enjoys traveling as well as spending time with her family and sharing her love of the mountains with her children.
Areas Of Practice
- Eminent Domain
- Real Estate Litigation
- Colorado, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2006
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D. - 2003
- Northwestern University
- B.A. - 1995
- Duke University
- Study in China Program - 1993
- Legal Services Corp. v. Velazquez-Missed Opportunity to Clarify the Legal Framework for Examining the Constitutionality of Government Program Restrictions, 79 Denv. U. L. Rev. 137, 2001
- Water Rights Acquisitions and Related Issues, Co-Author, Colorado Eminent Domain, CLE, International Seminar, 2006
- Water Rights in Takings Litigation, Co-Author, Colorado Water Law, CLE, International Seminar, 2006
- Speaker, Eminent Domain Actions, NBI Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Attorneys’ Guide to Local Government Law, 2016
- Speaker, Immediate Possession Hearings, Preparing for and Responding to Property Owner Challenges, CLE International Annual Eminent Domain Conference, 2016
- Speaker, Hardship Acquisitions: What Are They and When Are They Available?, CLE International Annual Eminent Domain Conference, 2010
- Speaker, Eminent Domain, Women In Real Estate (“WIRE”) CLE, 2009
- Co-Author, Water Rights Acquisitions and Related Issues, CLE International Annual Eminent Domain Conference, 2006
- Co-Author, Water Rights in Takings Litigation, CLE International Colorado Water Law Seminar, 2006
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America for Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
- Super Lawyers Rising Star
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mountain Terrace Homeowner Association in Eagle-Vail, Colorado, Board member, 2008
- Bonnie Brae Neighborhood Association, Zoning Committee Member, 2007
- United State Tennis Association & Colorado Tennis Association, Member
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association